I saw a suggestion in Wednesday's indo that the Leinster Council are considering deferring the SHC semi-final fixed on 11th June for a week to facilitate an Offaly - Wexford double header at headquarters. If so, when are they going to make this decision?
Surely they can't defer the hurling? 11th June has been factored into the preparations of both hurling teams since before Christmas when the dates were announced. Surely preparations this weekend will be governed by whether or not there is a match the following Sunday.
The losing team is scheduled to play in the round robin qualifier the following Saturday, followed by a free week, followed by two consecutive weekends. Are they supposed to play four weeks in succession? And what if Offaly and Wexford draw? That really fecks up the schedule.
Surely the hurling will go ahead in Nowlan Park (the most underutilised venue in the country) on the date scheduled for six months?
They can't do this, can they?
-
Plain of the Herbs
- All Star
- Posts: 3736
- Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:47 pm
- Club: Lusmagh
- Lone Shark
- All Star
- Posts: 5714
- Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:21 pm
- Club: Ferbane
- Location: Roscommon
- Contact:
To be fair I sympathise with the GAA on this. If they move it, it's discommoding the hurling teams in both counties, but if they don't they are perceived to be penalising the supporters by bringing them two weeks in succession to two different venues. Ideally the football would have even been brought forward, but I suppose that's hardly going to happen now!
I agree that Nowlan Park is underutilised, and despite it being far from a happy hunting ground, I'd be happy to go back there. That said, my gut feeling is that in terms of evangelisation and what have you, the right thing is to play a double header - possibly even in Kilkenny on the 18th. I then would say that the opening qualifier involving OY/Wexford should be offered to be put back a week if the losing county wants it. I don't think playing three weeks in a row in the qualifiers is such a bad thing, most teams would want to pick up momentum in that arena anyway.
I do see the point made, and I will accept I'm possibly being selfish here - it's a hell of a lot easier come home for two games in one week than two in two. Against that, I think the difference to the teams is not insignificant but not a huge barrier either, and a lot of supporters would probably thank the GAA for making it that bit easier.
I agree that Nowlan Park is underutilised, and despite it being far from a happy hunting ground, I'd be happy to go back there. That said, my gut feeling is that in terms of evangelisation and what have you, the right thing is to play a double header - possibly even in Kilkenny on the 18th. I then would say that the opening qualifier involving OY/Wexford should be offered to be put back a week if the losing county wants it. I don't think playing three weeks in a row in the qualifiers is such a bad thing, most teams would want to pick up momentum in that arena anyway.
I do see the point made, and I will accept I'm possibly being selfish here - it's a hell of a lot easier come home for two games in one week than two in two. Against that, I think the difference to the teams is not insignificant but not a huge barrier either, and a lot of supporters would probably thank the GAA for making it that bit easier.
Change of Date
I think it will only be moved with agreement from the counties - in fact it's Wexford who have requested the Double Header.
I've mixed feelings about double headers - can be hard to switch from one to another, but can see the logistic arguments in favour of it.
It is tricky for the hurlers though, not knowing where they're out Sunday week or Sunday fortnight - if the whole Kildare thing hadn't happened it would have been sorted on Monday night.
I've mixed feelings about double headers - can be hard to switch from one to another, but can see the logistic arguments in favour of it.
It is tricky for the hurlers though, not knowing where they're out Sunday week or Sunday fortnight - if the whole Kildare thing hadn't happened it would have been sorted on Monday night.
Double Header
As LS suggested, the best Double Header arrangement would have been to bring the Football game forward so that the two games would be played on the 11th. However, could Nowlan Park handle the larger expected crowd for this?
The unfortunate aspect is that Croker is not available for THAT weekend of June 11th. Why? A certain England Celebrity Soccer team captain called Robbie Williams will be using Croker to fatten his Bank Balance on that weekend. Cue the grunts of indignation !
(Actually I'm being very facetious here - I have no problem with Croker Concerts and I also agree firmly that the smaller provincial venues should be utilised more. The main problem in sorting all this out is the one that Kildare have caused.)
The unfortunate aspect is that Croker is not available for THAT weekend of June 11th. Why? A certain England Celebrity Soccer team captain called Robbie Williams will be using Croker to fatten his Bank Balance on that weekend. Cue the grunts of indignation !
(Actually I'm being very facetious here - I have no problem with Croker Concerts and I also agree firmly that the smaller provincial venues should be utilised more. The main problem in sorting all this out is the one that Kildare have caused.)
- Lone Shark
- All Star
- Posts: 5714
- Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:21 pm
- Club: Ferbane
- Location: Roscommon
- Contact:
I'd say Nowlan park would be well able for it - it's all too rare that you get 30,000 capacity crowds packed into venues like that - which I'd say is the kind of attendance you'd be looking at. The funny thing is that I'd say the football will attract feck all extra. Most football supporters in Offaly try to follow the hurlers as well, while Wexford have feck all football supporters. The hurling crowds would be the ones that wouldn't tend to stretch themselves for a football match usually. Surely the economic argument that is a Leinster football semi in Croker with 25,000 people there will prove convincing and make people pick the Kilkenny venue?