Weekend Games

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Post Reply
redser
County player
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:33 am

Weekend Games

Post by redser »

Ballycumber created the shock of the championship by sneaking it at the death against Tullamore.

Rhode very impressive against Ferbane. They look like they will walk the championship.

Shamrocks beat Gracefield in a fairly physical encounter

Killavilla beat Clara by 10points i believe.

User avatar
Lone Shark
All Star
Posts: 5709
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:21 pm
Club: Ferbane
Location: Roscommon
Contact:

Post by Lone Shark »

Hardly the shock of the championship - Ballycumber were slight underdogs, if even that. Tullamore have had good minor teams for a long time, but when you take into account that they didn't even convert that to under 21, the likelihood that they would do so at senior was slim.

I'm loathe to comment on the Ferbane result too much seeing as I couldn't have been there, but questions still have to be asked all the same. It's a long way back from a loss like that.

The door is definitely opening up for Erin Rovers now. I'd say there'll be a spring in the step of most of the Pullough boys at training over the next few months......

User avatar
Mighty Pair O' Hands
All Star
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:22 pm

Post by Mighty Pair O' Hands »

The shock with Bally was probably because they were 7 points adrift at half time and kicked 9 points in a row to sneak it. Colm Quinn was in great form.

Was also at the Rhode Ferbane game and to be fair to Ferbane they did not play that badly, kept their shape well and looked fairly fit. Rhode were just a far superior outfit and as Redser said would comfortably beat any team in the county playing like that.

As an aside Roy Malone looked in good form - any chance of Kilmurray and him reconciling ???

Bogman
All Star
Posts: 316
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:05 pm
Location: Tullamore

Post by Bogman »

Have to echo other contributors.

Ballycumber came from 0-12 to 0-07 down with 8 minutes left. Final score 1-13 to 0-12. Near the end Colm Quinn didn't bother finding the killer pass from midfield - he just tore through himself with penetrating solo runs and despite the fact that he was clearly (audibly) not happy with the movement of the forwards he got them going to such an extent that they won easily. Rory Guinan seemed to be in Paul McConway's pocket at one stage in the second half but recovered to contribute a few points to the revival (0-4 from play in all). Nigel Grennan kicked a few handy points also. Tullamore were physically dominated by Ballycumber in the second half, despite not doing very much wrong. Strange, strange game!

Rhode were majestic against Ferbane, an absolute joy to watch - only one wide in the first half and a few more in the second. They attacked at such blinding speed and transferred the ball so well that Ferbane were powerless to stop them. I agree that Roy Malone looked good but in general they seem to be even better than last year.

I heard that the Shamrocks- Gracefield game was physical, with Karol Slattery well subdued by Thomas Coughlan.

seamroga
Senior
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:36 pm

Post by seamroga »

As I was at other games, I had to depend on updates over the phone from Ballycumber v Tullamore and I have to say it sounded like a fantastic comeback. Apparantly one or two tactical switches (by Ballycumber manager and Tullamore resident Mick Lowry) made all the difference. Depending on the outcome of the G.A.C. hearing of the Ballycumber v Edenderry tie, the village side could be on four points and heading for the knock-out stages. Fair dues to Tullamore on winning two titles this decade, but I'd say their younger players will need another year or two to make an impact.
Bogman is right - Shamrocks v Gracefield was very physical. Nine points to five was the final scoreline and young Nigel Dunne scored seven of the nine (six frees). Ronan Mooney was home and lined out at midfield for Shamrocks.
But at Mucklagh on Sunday evening, Rhode sent out some message. I didn't think their form in the Offaly championship last year was as good as in 2003 - when they always scored goals and hardly ever conceded any. The two McNamees and Roy Malone were exceptional. I can't see them being stopped if they continue with this drive - I could hear their players pushing each other to the limit even when they game was way out of Ferbane's reach. I doubt if Rhode were happy when Ferbane forced the postponement of the U-21 final just a few hours before the throw-in so they were never likely to show any mercy. Rhode for Leinster glory - don't rule it out.
As I said before, a narrow semi-final defeat after a reply against Kilmacud Crokes will be the perfect motivation for a club like Rhode to go one step further this time round. Bad news for other clubs aiming for the Dowling Cup.

Post Reply