The Man Behind The Wire
Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:59 am
So The Man Behind The Wire finds us nauseating, or so he says in this week's Tribune. He better get his sick-bucket out.
I don't see any critiscism of Ross Connor on the Under 21 football thread on this site, so I presume he means Hogansh**e.com. Enough said.
However, putting your name to your article in the paper doesn't make it Gospel, and The Man Behind The Wire has been wide of the mark, as recently as last week in his column.
I haven't the article in front of me, but from memory he blames a lack of fitness on Stephen Brown's part for his agonising late miss against Cork. Now, even if Stephen Brown spent the 46 days of lent in the gym, he still wouldn't have scored that point, because of his poor right-hand-side. Fitness and speed are two different things- John Hayes (Munster and Ireland prop) is fit - but not quick.
He also points to the referee, and how some of his decisions had a well known Banagher Publican up-in-arms. I've given my synopsis of the match elsewhere, where I commented that while the referee did a few strange things, generally he was fair enough. The fact that a large number of attendees took it on themselves to jeer every decision (good, bad or indifferent) doesn't make those decisions wrong, even if it displeases the publicans of Banagher including those who are known to offer less-than-constructive advice to umpires and referees.
At this stage, I must say I find the contributions from Sharky, The Biff and many others on this site much more informative than I would another dreary Tribune match report.
I don't see any critiscism of Ross Connor on the Under 21 football thread on this site, so I presume he means Hogansh**e.com. Enough said.
However, putting your name to your article in the paper doesn't make it Gospel, and The Man Behind The Wire has been wide of the mark, as recently as last week in his column.
I haven't the article in front of me, but from memory he blames a lack of fitness on Stephen Brown's part for his agonising late miss against Cork. Now, even if Stephen Brown spent the 46 days of lent in the gym, he still wouldn't have scored that point, because of his poor right-hand-side. Fitness and speed are two different things- John Hayes (Munster and Ireland prop) is fit - but not quick.
He also points to the referee, and how some of his decisions had a well known Banagher Publican up-in-arms. I've given my synopsis of the match elsewhere, where I commented that while the referee did a few strange things, generally he was fair enough. The fact that a large number of attendees took it on themselves to jeer every decision (good, bad or indifferent) doesn't make those decisions wrong, even if it displeases the publicans of Banagher including those who are known to offer less-than-constructive advice to umpires and referees.
At this stage, I must say I find the contributions from Sharky, The Biff and many others on this site much more informative than I would another dreary Tribune match report.