Page 1 of 2

The Ultimate Goal

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:19 pm
by Lone Shark
When O'Connor Park is completed, I look forward to home league matches and scenes like this.

http://www.tifo.it/il_meglio/meglio_eng.html

Hmmmmmm

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:51 pm
by The Biff
Note the number in that list of the "great and glorious" British clubs that we hear so much about; their so-loyal fans, etc etc etc

In fairness, the Dubs in Hill 16 are probably more fervent fans than a lot of the showers across the water.

But you're right. Wait until our new Stand is erected. We should start a naming campaign now, in honour of those who brought great glory to the Faithful County.

The Eugene McGee Stand.
The Daithi Regan Stand.
The Jimmy Cooney Stand.

Any more?

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:37 pm
by TheManFromFerbane
I'd rather a more generic name, something along the Faithful Stand but only better. Offaly have had too many heros to pick out just one for that honour.

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:23 pm
by OffalyManAway
There is but one name for the stand - The Matt Connor Stand.

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:53 pm
by Lone Shark
Tis a bit of a no-brainer when you put it that way all right.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:49 am
by the bare biffo
The Matt Connor Stand.

Agree fully with the sentiment, but Matt might find it a bit of an embarrassment while he is still with us. Also you can be guarranteed some cleverhead gobshites will make something inappropriate of that name.

I would go with a more generic name rather than citing any individual.
Dont know what though.

No brainers

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:24 pm
by The Biff
Ah lads, I hope you didn't think I was being serious in the suggestions above. I was looking for some more "light-hearted" suggestions as you can be full sure that even if we did come up with a geat name here, our great and glorious County Board would probably go in a completely different direction.

I've always felt a little uncomfortable about naming buildings or monuments after living people, and for that reason alone I would vote against honouring Matt Connor. Without question, he is deserving of honour, but he has a lot of life to live yet.

A generic name is probably best. "The Faithful Stand" has a nice ring to it alright, but I think we deserve something that reflects our true nature.

So consider ...... The Biffo Stand

or with O'Connor Park being on the Arden Road, you get .... Ardán Arden

or in homage to our most traditional industry, ..... The High Bog

:lol:

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:54 pm
by azoffaly
Biff, The stand should be the Matt Connor Stand, but maybe the hill across could be the 'High Bank'.

Behind the goals could be Bord na Mona End and the Bifforum.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:12 pm
by Hyper
Sure you can't go far wrong with The "Main Stand"!!!

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:17 pm
by Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh
In the world of corprate sponsership it must be a near certainty that the stand will be called The Carroll Cuisine O'Connor Stand........Sounds Tasty!

Similar to the Kingspan Breffeni Park etc

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:19 pm
by Lone Shark
The Biff wrote:Ah lads, I hope you didn't think I was being serious in the suggestions above.
I thought the Jimmy Cooney Stand was a front runner myself.

Wait for this site to take off properly, then just call the whole ground "The Shark Tank".

And you thought lads didn't like travelling to league games in Offaly in the seventies..... :twisted:

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:57 pm
by gaaa head
On a more serious note, how about the county board seize the opportunity in earning a little extra cash? I propose calling on a major wealthy firm or business establisment in the midlands giving them the chance of excellent exposure in return for a set sum of money over a few years. This would generate great revenue for the Offaly G.A.A. Maybe to pay for a good manager!!!
Examples include the Reebok stadium in Bolton. I know thats soccer but possibly we could emulate that and make it work to our advantage if we had sense?
I dunno, The Bridge House Stand?

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:51 pm
by Lone Shark
Laois had rights arranged for the main stand in O'Moore park to be called the Puma stand and it was vetoed if memory serves. I know that was to do with the company not being Irish, but still I can't see them going down this road.

Anyway, they've probably hit a load of businesses for sponsorship money already, so if somewhere like the River Court had stumped up €5k they mightn't be best pleased to realise that their money had gone into the Bridge House Stand's construction.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:10 pm
by gaaa head
Well its their tough luck really! Unless they want the stand named after them... their not going to demand the money back, i wouldn't worry, i'd be looking to as many angles as possible to get a bit of dosh! just thought it would be a fresh and lucrative idea and one that doesn't involve much labour!

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:20 am
by Lone Shark
gaaa head wrote:Well its their tough luck really! Unless they want the stand named after them... their not going to demand the money back, i wouldn't worry, i'd be looking to as many angles as possible to get a bit of dosh! just thought it would be a fresh and lucrative idea and one that doesn't involve much labour!
I see where you're coming from, but at the same time you don't want to go alienating anyone - sponsorship at all levels will still be needed on in to the future, and you don't want anyone to feel like their contribution is in the ha'penny place, and as a result not contributing. Keep everyone onside and make everyone feel like their contribution was important and equal I'd say.