I agree it isn't cut and dried and I guess really, this is a philosophical thing. My preference would be to go after the best athletic talent and get them involved at U14 level. I'd be trying to win games with genuine competition for places and giving everybody time, to get buy in, to bring a squad together who are enjoying playing for Offaly to build for following year with view to being as strong as possible at minor. It wouldnt be all about winning by the way, but improvement and trying to win and building a camaraderie among the group that'd serve them well so they wanted to play for Offaly, would be important. That in its simplest terms would be my philosophy.Lone Shark wrote: ↑Wed Oct 07, 2026 2:08 pmIt's not cut and dried, there's argument both ways, but I was at that final, and you could very well make the counterpoint that the footballers in those two clubs are the ones least in need of a Development Squad, because clearly they're in a healthy, well-structured environment right now that is providing them very good support and guidance.jimbob17 wrote: ↑Tue Oct 06, 2026 8:49 pm Ferbane and Tullamore played a belter of an U14A county final last weekend. How many off both teams are in development squads V how many should be. Answer that question and you'd get a very clear picture of how far off we are. Previously, lads had to be making their school and club teams to be on a development squad. There are lads in some of the squads who are struggling to make their club teams and not making school teams. Is this wise spending of development squad money?
I will say that Ferbane/Belmont were probably a little bit more dependent on Adam Kelly but I still thought their execution of the core skills of the game was good, they just weren't quite as athletically strong as Tullamore, and they didn't always pick the right option on the ball. But when it came to the winners, yes they had talented players, but they were also very slick and cohesive in how they played, they invariably made the right decisions and played the right passes. All the hallmarks of good coaching were there.
I'm not for a second saying that Tullamore (or Ferbane/Belmont) players should be left out of Offaly development squads, but there absolutely is an argument to say that players from other, weaker clubs would benefit a lot more from that exposure to high standards, even if it might lead to poorer results on the field in competitive U-14 intercounty games, and it could well be better for Offaly football in the long run.
Of course those in the A club finals have a better environment for development, probably down to higher level of depth in club squad and often higher level of club coaching than many others. I'd also suggest however, that if the level of development squad coaching is at the requisite level, it would make those better players even better - and that is the piece I'd feel the more elite multi sport guys miss out on.
I accept the counter argument of your last paragraph if that is the reasoning behind current squad selections. However, It'd be interesting to know how many of those that played that A final were on the U14 football squad. Further to that, it would be very interesting to find out the results of the U14 football development squad for 2026, which no doubt I am sure you'd be able to get........