RHODE V CROGHAN
-
naasmanxrhode
- All Star
- Posts: 341
- Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:50 pm
RHODE V CROGHAN
Well folks, how do you think this one will go. Rhode would be shorter odds than Kerry to win this one and I feel that they will win easily. My verdict would be Rhode 4 -14 Croghan 0-08 especially if a dry day. A wet day might help Croghan in that the match would become a slog, but still an easy win for the men from Rhode.
- The Magpie
- All Star
- Posts: 295
- Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:33 pm
Jaysus, thats a fair prediction. Maybe the Ballycumber replay has skewed things a little? I won't argue that Rhode are stronger and they're my favorites too, but I don't think they'll beat Croghan by 18 points....Jaysus...no way. Is Lone Shark the only man that offers odds around here? I'll back Croghan to be within 18 points of Rhode!
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!
- Lone Shark
- All Star
- Posts: 5714
- Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:21 pm
- Club: Ferbane
- Location: Roscommon
- Contact:
Hard to know what to think about this, a lot of things could happen. While I obviously wouldn't put an 18 point handicap on the game, at the same time I wouldn't be completely shocked if Rhode did blow Brigid's out of the water. I said at the start of the year that the only team in Offaly with the scope to possibly upset Rhode on a given day was Clara and I stand by that. (However their best chance was in a semi - I don't think it'll happen if they meet in a final).
In saying that, I can't see Brigid's underestimating Rhode's attacking threat and not bringing support back. I'd say Casey will go back to mind the square, but possibly not on McNamee - they might leave a more mobile sticky player to do that (Foy perhaps??) and let Casey try and keep goals out. Whatever chance Croghan have, they have to keep Rhode to points only.
If they do spoil the game a bit, as they will no doubt attempt to, they could easily keep Rhode to three points or so. On the other hand if Rhode get off to a flyer and force Croghan out into attacking, there's no telling how much damage could be done - though I'd say in the spirit of not damaging under 21 morale too much, I would expect an easing off once a gap of ten points or so appears.
Either way a shock result is just not possible - I'm tempted to handicap this for the purposes of the tipsters even, so unlikely is it. I can't see anyone tipping Brigid's on current form.
In saying that, I can't see Brigid's underestimating Rhode's attacking threat and not bringing support back. I'd say Casey will go back to mind the square, but possibly not on McNamee - they might leave a more mobile sticky player to do that (Foy perhaps??) and let Casey try and keep goals out. Whatever chance Croghan have, they have to keep Rhode to points only.
If they do spoil the game a bit, as they will no doubt attempt to, they could easily keep Rhode to three points or so. On the other hand if Rhode get off to a flyer and force Croghan out into attacking, there's no telling how much damage could be done - though I'd say in the spirit of not damaging under 21 morale too much, I would expect an easing off once a gap of ten points or so appears.
Either way a shock result is just not possible - I'm tempted to handicap this for the purposes of the tipsters even, so unlikely is it. I can't see anyone tipping Brigid's on current form.
- the Untouchable
- All Star
- Posts: 219
- Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:15 pm
Having played & seen Croghan play a number of times in the past its hard to see them causing Rhode much headaches on Sunday. Like local rivalry is all well & good but Croghan are a pretty ordinary team, who don't really ever pose enough of a threat up front to worry Rhode.
I can't see Croghan score much more than 7 or 8 points against Rhode, which in fairness I would fancy Rhode to have that scored long before half time.
I do accept LS's point that with the U21 final still to be played that there's a good chance rhode will ease up when their home & hosed & I fancy this to happen as well...I'd say Rhode will win by 8 points at least!!
The other semi final should see both Clara & Shamrocks having to raise their game big time!!!
I haven't been impressed with Clara all year, their performance against Shannonbridge was as poor a display by them as I've seen in a long time. Having said that Shamrocks have strolled through their group without breaking sweat, but are very much dependant on Derek Molloy & Nigel Dunne for their scores. If clara can hold them to a few scores each they'll be in with massive great shout!!!
I'd fancy Shamrocks to win fairly well if Ronan Mooney is back playing for them & if they can get good ball to Molloy & Dunne, but if Clara start well & can break even at midfield...something they didn't do against them last year in replay of the quarter final & can stop the quick direct ball in to the shamrocks 2 man full forward line then they'll have a massive great chance.
Having said all that I fancy Rhode by 8pts & Shamrocks to win by 4pts.
Slan!!!
I can't see Croghan score much more than 7 or 8 points against Rhode, which in fairness I would fancy Rhode to have that scored long before half time.
I do accept LS's point that with the U21 final still to be played that there's a good chance rhode will ease up when their home & hosed & I fancy this to happen as well...I'd say Rhode will win by 8 points at least!!
The other semi final should see both Clara & Shamrocks having to raise their game big time!!!
I haven't been impressed with Clara all year, their performance against Shannonbridge was as poor a display by them as I've seen in a long time. Having said that Shamrocks have strolled through their group without breaking sweat, but are very much dependant on Derek Molloy & Nigel Dunne for their scores. If clara can hold them to a few scores each they'll be in with massive great shout!!!
I'd fancy Shamrocks to win fairly well if Ronan Mooney is back playing for them & if they can get good ball to Molloy & Dunne, but if Clara start well & can break even at midfield...something they didn't do against them last year in replay of the quarter final & can stop the quick direct ball in to the shamrocks 2 man full forward line then they'll have a massive great chance.
Having said all that I fancy Rhode by 8pts & Shamrocks to win by 4pts.
Slan!!!
The Untouchable
- Lone Shark
- All Star
- Posts: 5714
- Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:21 pm
- Club: Ferbane
- Location: Roscommon
- Contact: