The Ultimate Goal
- Lone Shark
- All Star
- Posts: 5714
- Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:21 pm
- Club: Ferbane
- Location: Roscommon
- Contact:
The Ultimate Goal
When O'Connor Park is completed, I look forward to home league matches and scenes like this.
http://www.tifo.it/il_meglio/meglio_eng.html
http://www.tifo.it/il_meglio/meglio_eng.html
Hmmmmmm
Note the number in that list of the "great and glorious" British clubs that we hear so much about; their so-loyal fans, etc etc etc
In fairness, the Dubs in Hill 16 are probably more fervent fans than a lot of the showers across the water.
But you're right. Wait until our new Stand is erected. We should start a naming campaign now, in honour of those who brought great glory to the Faithful County.
The Eugene McGee Stand.
The Daithi Regan Stand.
The Jimmy Cooney Stand.
Any more?
In fairness, the Dubs in Hill 16 are probably more fervent fans than a lot of the showers across the water.
But you're right. Wait until our new Stand is erected. We should start a naming campaign now, in honour of those who brought great glory to the Faithful County.
The Eugene McGee Stand.
The Daithi Regan Stand.
The Jimmy Cooney Stand.
Any more?
- TheManFromFerbane
- All Star
- Posts: 744
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:40 pm
- Club: Ferbane
- Location: Kildare
-
OffalyManAway
- Senior
- Posts: 81
- Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:34 am
- Location: North Offaly
- Lone Shark
- All Star
- Posts: 5714
- Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:21 pm
- Club: Ferbane
- Location: Roscommon
- Contact:
- the bare biffo
- All Star
- Posts: 444
- Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:37 am
- Location: Nth Roscommon
The Matt Connor Stand.
Agree fully with the sentiment, but Matt might find it a bit of an embarrassment while he is still with us. Also you can be guarranteed some cleverhead gobshites will make something inappropriate of that name.
I would go with a more generic name rather than citing any individual.
Dont know what though.
Agree fully with the sentiment, but Matt might find it a bit of an embarrassment while he is still with us. Also you can be guarranteed some cleverhead gobshites will make something inappropriate of that name.
I would go with a more generic name rather than citing any individual.
Dont know what though.
No brainers
Ah lads, I hope you didn't think I was being serious in the suggestions above. I was looking for some more "light-hearted" suggestions as you can be full sure that even if we did come up with a geat name here, our great and glorious County Board would probably go in a completely different direction.
I've always felt a little uncomfortable about naming buildings or monuments after living people, and for that reason alone I would vote against honouring Matt Connor. Without question, he is deserving of honour, but he has a lot of life to live yet.
A generic name is probably best. "The Faithful Stand" has a nice ring to it alright, but I think we deserve something that reflects our true nature.
So consider ...... The Biffo Stand
or with O'Connor Park being on the Arden Road, you get .... Ardán Arden
or in homage to our most traditional industry, ..... The High Bog

I've always felt a little uncomfortable about naming buildings or monuments after living people, and for that reason alone I would vote against honouring Matt Connor. Without question, he is deserving of honour, but he has a lot of life to live yet.
A generic name is probably best. "The Faithful Stand" has a nice ring to it alright, but I think we deserve something that reflects our true nature.
So consider ...... The Biffo Stand
or with O'Connor Park being on the Arden Road, you get .... Ardán Arden
or in homage to our most traditional industry, ..... The High Bog
-
Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh
- Senior
- Posts: 82
- Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:28 pm
- Lone Shark
- All Star
- Posts: 5714
- Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:21 pm
- Club: Ferbane
- Location: Roscommon
- Contact:
I thought the Jimmy Cooney Stand was a front runner myself.The Biff wrote:Ah lads, I hope you didn't think I was being serious in the suggestions above.
Wait for this site to take off properly, then just call the whole ground "The Shark Tank".
And you thought lads didn't like travelling to league games in Offaly in the seventies.....
On a more serious note, how about the county board seize the opportunity in earning a little extra cash? I propose calling on a major wealthy firm or business establisment in the midlands giving them the chance of excellent exposure in return for a set sum of money over a few years. This would generate great revenue for the Offaly G.A.A. Maybe to pay for a good manager!!!
Examples include the Reebok stadium in Bolton. I know thats soccer but possibly we could emulate that and make it work to our advantage if we had sense?
I dunno, The Bridge House Stand?
Examples include the Reebok stadium in Bolton. I know thats soccer but possibly we could emulate that and make it work to our advantage if we had sense?
I dunno, The Bridge House Stand?
- Lone Shark
- All Star
- Posts: 5714
- Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:21 pm
- Club: Ferbane
- Location: Roscommon
- Contact:
Laois had rights arranged for the main stand in O'Moore park to be called the Puma stand and it was vetoed if memory serves. I know that was to do with the company not being Irish, but still I can't see them going down this road.
Anyway, they've probably hit a load of businesses for sponsorship money already, so if somewhere like the River Court had stumped up €5k they mightn't be best pleased to realise that their money had gone into the Bridge House Stand's construction.
Anyway, they've probably hit a load of businesses for sponsorship money already, so if somewhere like the River Court had stumped up €5k they mightn't be best pleased to realise that their money had gone into the Bridge House Stand's construction.
Well its their tough luck really! Unless they want the stand named after them... their not going to demand the money back, i wouldn't worry, i'd be looking to as many angles as possible to get a bit of dosh! just thought it would be a fresh and lucrative idea and one that doesn't involve much labour!
- Lone Shark
- All Star
- Posts: 5714
- Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:21 pm
- Club: Ferbane
- Location: Roscommon
- Contact:
I see where you're coming from, but at the same time you don't want to go alienating anyone - sponsorship at all levels will still be needed on in to the future, and you don't want anyone to feel like their contribution is in the ha'penny place, and as a result not contributing. Keep everyone onside and make everyone feel like their contribution was important and equal I'd say.gaaa head wrote:Well its their tough luck really! Unless they want the stand named after them... their not going to demand the money back, i wouldn't worry, i'd be looking to as many angles as possible to get a bit of dosh! just thought it would be a fresh and lucrative idea and one that doesn't involve much labour!