The Ultimate Goal

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
User avatar
Lone Shark
All Star
Posts: 5714
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:21 pm
Club: Ferbane
Location: Roscommon
Contact:

The Ultimate Goal

Post by Lone Shark »

When O'Connor Park is completed, I look forward to home league matches and scenes like this.

http://www.tifo.it/il_meglio/meglio_eng.html

User avatar
The Biff
All Star
Posts: 466
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:23 pm
Location: Kildare (ex Daingean)

Hmmmmmm

Post by The Biff »

Note the number in that list of the "great and glorious" British clubs that we hear so much about; their so-loyal fans, etc etc etc

In fairness, the Dubs in Hill 16 are probably more fervent fans than a lot of the showers across the water.

But you're right. Wait until our new Stand is erected. We should start a naming campaign now, in honour of those who brought great glory to the Faithful County.

The Eugene McGee Stand.
The Daithi Regan Stand.
The Jimmy Cooney Stand.

Any more?

User avatar
TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Posts: 744
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:40 pm
Club: Ferbane
Location: Kildare

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

I'd rather a more generic name, something along the Faithful Stand but only better. Offaly have had too many heros to pick out just one for that honour.

OffalyManAway
Senior
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:34 am
Location: North Offaly

Post by OffalyManAway »

There is but one name for the stand - The Matt Connor Stand.

User avatar
Lone Shark
All Star
Posts: 5714
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:21 pm
Club: Ferbane
Location: Roscommon
Contact:

Post by Lone Shark »

Tis a bit of a no-brainer when you put it that way all right.

User avatar
the bare biffo
All Star
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:37 am
Location: Nth Roscommon

Post by the bare biffo »

The Matt Connor Stand.

Agree fully with the sentiment, but Matt might find it a bit of an embarrassment while he is still with us. Also you can be guarranteed some cleverhead gobshites will make something inappropriate of that name.

I would go with a more generic name rather than citing any individual.
Dont know what though.

User avatar
The Biff
All Star
Posts: 466
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:23 pm
Location: Kildare (ex Daingean)

No brainers

Post by The Biff »

Ah lads, I hope you didn't think I was being serious in the suggestions above. I was looking for some more "light-hearted" suggestions as you can be full sure that even if we did come up with a geat name here, our great and glorious County Board would probably go in a completely different direction.

I've always felt a little uncomfortable about naming buildings or monuments after living people, and for that reason alone I would vote against honouring Matt Connor. Without question, he is deserving of honour, but he has a lot of life to live yet.

A generic name is probably best. "The Faithful Stand" has a nice ring to it alright, but I think we deserve something that reflects our true nature.

So consider ...... The Biffo Stand

or with O'Connor Park being on the Arden Road, you get .... Ardán Arden

or in homage to our most traditional industry, ..... The High Bog

:lol:

User avatar
azoffaly
All Star
Posts: 649
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:02 pm
Location: Tipperary

Post by azoffaly »

Biff, The stand should be the Matt Connor Stand, but maybe the hill across could be the 'High Bank'.

Behind the goals could be Bord na Mona End and the Bifforum.

Hyper
All Star
Posts: 496
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:37 pm

Post by Hyper »

Sure you can't go far wrong with The "Main Stand"!!!

Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh
Senior
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:28 pm

Post by Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh »

In the world of corprate sponsership it must be a near certainty that the stand will be called The Carroll Cuisine O'Connor Stand........Sounds Tasty!

Similar to the Kingspan Breffeni Park etc

User avatar
Lone Shark
All Star
Posts: 5714
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:21 pm
Club: Ferbane
Location: Roscommon
Contact:

Post by Lone Shark »

The Biff wrote:Ah lads, I hope you didn't think I was being serious in the suggestions above.
I thought the Jimmy Cooney Stand was a front runner myself.

Wait for this site to take off properly, then just call the whole ground "The Shark Tank".

And you thought lads didn't like travelling to league games in Offaly in the seventies..... :twisted:

gaaa head
Junior A
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 8:10 pm

Post by gaaa head »

On a more serious note, how about the county board seize the opportunity in earning a little extra cash? I propose calling on a major wealthy firm or business establisment in the midlands giving them the chance of excellent exposure in return for a set sum of money over a few years. This would generate great revenue for the Offaly G.A.A. Maybe to pay for a good manager!!!
Examples include the Reebok stadium in Bolton. I know thats soccer but possibly we could emulate that and make it work to our advantage if we had sense?
I dunno, The Bridge House Stand?

User avatar
Lone Shark
All Star
Posts: 5714
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:21 pm
Club: Ferbane
Location: Roscommon
Contact:

Post by Lone Shark »

Laois had rights arranged for the main stand in O'Moore park to be called the Puma stand and it was vetoed if memory serves. I know that was to do with the company not being Irish, but still I can't see them going down this road.

Anyway, they've probably hit a load of businesses for sponsorship money already, so if somewhere like the River Court had stumped up €5k they mightn't be best pleased to realise that their money had gone into the Bridge House Stand's construction.

gaaa head
Junior A
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 8:10 pm

Post by gaaa head »

Well its their tough luck really! Unless they want the stand named after them... their not going to demand the money back, i wouldn't worry, i'd be looking to as many angles as possible to get a bit of dosh! just thought it would be a fresh and lucrative idea and one that doesn't involve much labour!

User avatar
Lone Shark
All Star
Posts: 5714
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:21 pm
Club: Ferbane
Location: Roscommon
Contact:

Post by Lone Shark »

gaaa head wrote:Well its their tough luck really! Unless they want the stand named after them... their not going to demand the money back, i wouldn't worry, i'd be looking to as many angles as possible to get a bit of dosh! just thought it would be a fresh and lucrative idea and one that doesn't involve much labour!
I see where you're coming from, but at the same time you don't want to go alienating anyone - sponsorship at all levels will still be needed on in to the future, and you don't want anyone to feel like their contribution is in the ha'penny place, and as a result not contributing. Keep everyone onside and make everyone feel like their contribution was important and equal I'd say.

Post Reply